Swaddling is the technique of wrapping your baby with soft and cozy sheets to mimic the warmth and comfort of the ᴡᴏᴍʙ. Swaddling has been around for thousands of years, and mothers across the world have been swaddling their babies to provide them a sense of comfort. This technique also helps the infant fall asleep much better, the baby from waking up with his or her sᴛᴀʀᴛʟᴇ ʀᴇFʟᴇx. Babies get sᴛᴀʀᴛʟᴇᴅ ᴇᴀsɪʟʏ. When you swaddle a child, you ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛᴇ ᴘʀᴇssᴜʀᴇ around the child, similar to the ᴡᴏᴍʙ. The warmth, too, makes the child feel safe and secure.
The Do’s Of Swaddling:
- Wash your hands before you start swaddling your child : A newborn baby’s ɪᴍᴍᴜɴɪᴛʏ ɪs ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʟᴏᴡ, so it is essential to maintain hygiene to ᴘʀᴇᴠᴇɴᴛ ɪɴFᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ.
- Do get a snug, tight fit: You might think you’re wrapping your baby ᴛᴏᴏ ᴛɪɢʜᴛ, but it’s really the snugness of a swaddle that makes it most effective! You want to make sure your baby can’t wriggle out of the swaddle or loosen the fabric.
- Make sure you are swaddling your child the right way: If you are swaddling your child, it is advisable to make them sleep on their back. This can sɪɢɴɪFɪᴄᴀɴᴛʟʏ ʀᴇᴅᴜᴄᴇ the ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇs of Sᴜᴅᴅᴇɴ IɴFᴀɴᴛ Dᴇᴀᴛʜ Sʏɴᴅʀᴏᴍᴇ .
- Do listen to your baby: They will let you know if they’re uncomfortable – whether that means they’re getting too hot or want one or both arms free. It is best to use a sheet that is light and airy. This way, it will not get too hot for your little one.
The Don’ts Of Swaddling
- Do not swaddle your child immediately after food: Yes, children pretty much follow the eat-sleep-repeat cycle, but it is essential to leave some space between your baby’s eat and sleep time. If your child has just eaten, try to make them ʙᴜʀᴘ before swaddling.
- Don’t swaddle your baby ᴛᴏᴏ ᴛɪɢʜᴛly : As this may ᴀFFᴇᴄᴛhis ᴘʜʏsɪᴄᴀʟ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘᴍᴇɴᴛ. Always make sure he has plenty of room to move his legs up and out at the hips. If you swaddle him ᴛᴏᴏ ᴛɪɢʜᴛly, with his legs pressed together and straight down, he’s more likely to ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs with ʜɪs ʜɪᴘs .
- Don’t let any Fᴀʙʀɪᴄ ᴄᴏᴠᴇʀ your baby’s ᴍᴏᴜᴛʜ ᴏʀ Fᴀᴄᴇ: A loose swaddling or loose bedding creates an ᴜɴsᴀFᴇ sleep environment and can ɪɴᴄʀᴇᴀsᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪsᴋ ᴏF ⓈⒾⒹⓈ .